There are, however, a list of things you need to do before Google can classify your content as 'news'. Follow the below checklist.
- Review Google's "Getting into Google News" guidelines
- Verify you have the right kind of content: Google accepts blogs, satire, press releases, and other kinds of timely content; not just local and national news. It's not about how much content you post; it's about how much Google trusts the content you post.
- Create a Google News site map: You can bypass Google's requirement for a unique three-digit URL number on each post by generating your Google News XML sitemap. WordPress, Drupal 7 & 8, and many other CMS have plugins/modules that allow you to create a news sitemap in a matter of minutes. Here are the details. But remember, only include original content in your sitemap.
- Google News requires you provide the URL of a contact page. This page should include names of authors/editors, phone numbers and email addresses, and a physical street address. The ensures that you're a real business.
- Host your story images on the same domain as the article webpage. This allows Google to better index your images with your text.
- Use the news meta keywords tag. This tag gives Google more information about the nature and topic of your page. Instructions here. In Drupal and WordPress, you can add a special field that appears on your content creation pages to make this process easier.
- Apply traditional SEO and on-page techniques when posting content. Always include a compelling meta description that outlines the article, a title tag that includes the headline (in less than 70 characters), and image alt tags that include the keywords for the story.
- Think you've gotten these things done? Submit your site for Google News consideration here.
All there is left to do now is to be patient. It takes Google a while to gauge the quality of the 'news' content on your site. If you just can't figure it out, there is a webform for inquiries, but use it only if you've tried everything on this checklist.
That form is here.